Sunday, June 21, 2015

frozen hot chocolate

When my husband and I were first dating, frozen hot chocolate from Serendipidy in NYC made Oprah's Favorite Things list. I thought it sounded so delicious, and he secretly ordered some packets straight from New York City, so we could make our own at home. Awww, so sweet.

(Photo from Serendipity website)

For some reason I was thinking about it the other day, so I recreated it using better ingredients. When I told the boys I was trying to make frozen hot chocolate, they looked at me like I was crazy. Everett said, "Mom, hot chocolate can not be frozen." But the result of my more unprocessed version was pretty tasty! They even requested that I make it again at breakfast. Um, probably not!

Frozen Hot Chocolate
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/4 c maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 c milk
2 c ice

Blend all ingredients until smooth. 
Makes about 4 cups.

Ingredient Notes:
-You could use cocoa powder in place of the raw cacao powder, 
however sometimes cocoa powder is over processed. I use this brand of cacao, which can
found at most health food stores.

-Coconut sugar is made from the sap of the coconut palm tree. 
It is lower glycemic on the index than regular sugar. I use this brand. 
This sugar is a great 1:1 swap for regular sugar in most recipes.

-I used 2% dairy milk, but you could swap it out for almond milk
coconut milk, or any other nut milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment