Wednesday, June 3, 2015

homemade taco seasoning

When I started my quest to get healthy, I knew it was going to be a slow, steady race instead of a sprint.  I decided to start small and eliminate something that we use all the time: taco seasoning packets.  Tacos are a staple in our house.  They are quick, easy, and most of the time the small people in my house will eat them.  However, I always found my tacos to be super salty.  Well, duh, most contain close to your daily allowance of sodium (which is far more salt than anyone needs!) in one packet.  Not to mention a whole long list of ingredients I can't even pronounce. It truly shows how naive I was because I honestly never thought that there might be a better alternative.  I started to research a little and found a delicious recipe that has become our go-to taco seasoning.  No more MSG packets!

Using the ratio below, mix up however much you like.  You can make this every time you make tacos, or you can whip up a big batch and just measure out what you need each time.


I like to store mine in a cute little jar.  Everything is better in a cute container, isn't it?


Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp pepper

Feel free to double, triple, depending on how big a batch you are making.  Use 2 tbsp of mix per pound of ground beef, add a little more if it's not to your liking.  I like to add onions and garlic to my beef, and about a cup of pureed tomatoes.  If that doesn't float your boat, add whatever gets you going.  If you don't use tomato, you will need some sort of liquid, AKA water.  I do think the tomatoes add a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment