Monday, June 22, 2015

cold brew coffee

Hello, my name is Katie, and I'm a coffee addict. It's seriously what gets me out of bed in the morning. Well, other than the two small people in my house who refuse to sleep past 6am. Come on, boys, it's summer for crying out loud.

I've always been a hot, black coffee in the morning kind of gal, but a few years ago my mom turned me on to iced coffee during the summer afternoons. The problem with iced coffee is the minute you pour hot coffee over ice, it turns into watered down coffee. Now we can't go around drinking watered down coffee, can we? Enter cold brewed coffee.


This recipe takes a little time, but trust me, the result is so worth the wait. This recipe is very forgiving, so don't worry if your measurements aren't exact.

Cold Brew Coffee
4 oz coffee grounds (about a third of a bag)
8 c water

Put grounds in a large bowl and pour the water over the grounds. Give it a good stir, then cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours. Line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth, or use a nut bag, and set over a pitcher or other container. Pour the coffee/water mixture through the strainer, then discard the grounds. Store coffee in fridge. 

There are so many ways to jazz up this coffee to fit your liking. I drink it straight up, over ice, but it would be tasty with cream or almond milk added in, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment