Tuesday, September 1, 2015

homemade laundry detergent

I used to make my own laundry detergent, but then got lazy and went back to buying it at the store. There are certainly a lot of options out there for "cleaner" (ha! no pun intended) laundry detergents, but they usually come with a hefty price tag. I recently got back to making it myself and I was reminded of how simple it is to make. This powder detergent is three ingredients and it seriously works. I have two smelly, dirty boys and their clothes come out clean every time. This recipe works in both HE and regular washers.

Powder Laundry Detergent
1 bar of soap (I used Dr. Bronner's)
1 cup washing soda (this is NOT baking soda!)
1 cup borax
20 drops essential oil (optional)

Instructions:
Grate the bar of soap using a fine cheese grater or food processor. Mix in washing soda and borax. Add essential oils (if using) and stir. Store in a sealed container. Add 1-2 tablespoons directly to the clothes and launder like normal.


The washing soda and borax can be found in the laundry aisle of any store, and the Dr. Bronner's bar soaps are carried at all health food stores such as Whole Foods, Natural Grocers and Sprouts. I used the peppermint scent in the last batch I made and it smelled so good. The clothes don't come out smelling like a candy cane, just fresh and clean.

Original recipe here


No comments:

Post a Comment