Thursday, May 28, 2015

toilet bowl cleaner

When I started on this journey to healthier living years ago, a friend introduced me to The Honest Company. I fell in love with their products and it made it so easy for me to switch all of our cleaning products to a more safe, eco-friendly variety. I still use many of their products, however when it comes to cleaning products, it's easier and WAY cheaper just to make them at home. Here is a very simple toilet bowl cleaner that actually works. Trust me, I have only boys, my toilets are disgusting.

Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup liquid castile soap (I love Dr. Bronner's)
10 drops essential oil (optional)
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup white vinegar


Start by mixing the baking soda and castile soap together. I used a citrus soap because lemon antibacterial. Next add your essential oil, if using. I used rosemary in this batch because it is also antibacterial. And it smells amazing. Then add your hydrogen peroxide, which is a natural whitener. Who doesn't love a shiny, white toilet?! Next, slowly add your hot (but not boiling) water and mix until well dissolved. Now comes the fun part. Add your vinegar and watch that baby fizz. Makes you feel like you're back in middle school science, doesn't it? 

Once it's all mixed and has stopped fizzing, use a funnel to pour into a bottle. I just used an empty toilet bowl cleaner bottle, but any squeeze bottle would work.


Once you squirt it into your toilet, let it sit for about 10 minutes to let it do it's magic. Feel free to stand in your bathroom breath in the wonderful smells because it your bathroom is anything like mine, it won't last long!

No comments:

Post a Comment