Thursday, May 28, 2015

homemade almond milk

It took me a long time to acquire a taste for almond milk.  I'm talking the unsweetened kind, not the added sugar, flavored kind.  I use almond milk in smoothies, some recipes, and sometimes poured over grainless granola.  The problem is that most of the store-bought almond milks have a bunch of yucky ingredients added in.  Enter homemade almond milk!  I cannot believe it's taken me all this time to realize I could make my own.  It's so easy and WAY more tasty!

Almond Milk
1 cup raw almonds
8 cups water, separated
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla 
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Soak almonds in 4 cups of water for 8-10 hours

2. Rinse almonds a couple times and add to a blender

3. Add remaining 4 cups of water and other ingredients to blender

4. Blend until smooth (we have a Vitamix, so it blends in no time, but depending on your blender, this could take some time)

5. Strain milk through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag

6. Store in the fridge in a cute little bottle (thanks, Shatto!)


This makes about a quart and should only be kept about 5 days.  I'm typically a black coffee gal, but sometimes I add this to my morning cup and it's so delish. The hint of sweet and cinnamon is just perfect.  You can also just drink it straight out of the bottle if that's more your style.

PS - Never in my life did I think I'd know what a milk nut bag was for, let alone own one!  I will say this is a very worth while purchase if you want to make your own milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment