Sunday, July 7, 2013

sugar detox - day 8

I think I was just a tad bit cocky going into this 21 day sugar detox.  I thought since I eat fairly paleo compliant most days, I wouldn't have much trouble.  WRONG!  Even though I didn't eat many grains or much sugar before the detox, I still had that option if I want to indulge in, say, a bowl of delicious peanut butter and chocolate ice cream that my husband brought home on day 3 (grrrrr).  I could eat a bowl and move on.  Not so fast.  I now have to consciously make a decision about everything I put up to my mouth.  Which is a good thing.  I think.  Here's the good, bad, and ugly eight days in:

The Good: 
-Increase in energy level over the past few day
-I sleep like a baby (Why do we say that?  My babies never slept.  Like ever.)
-I don't have that gross, bloated feeling after each meal
-My clothes fit better and I've lost a few pounds
-I read every nutrition label for everything I put in my mouth

The Bad:  
-Headaches.  Oh goodness, the headaches.  The first few days were brutal.  The sugar withdrawal, even for someone without a ton of sugar consumption, was hard.  That seems to be getting better in the past few days.  
-I miss fruit.  Like big time.  Going to the farmer's market is like being in a torture chamber.  The berries!  The peaches!  All so yummy this time of year.
-Social settings with tons of food are tough

The Ugly:
-I had a minor slip up on the Fourth of July and indulged in a few beers.  That was it though.  How can you celebrate the Fourth without beer?  I resisted my mom's homemade ice cream, which was the true test.  It was beer or ice cream and I chose beer.
-Shhhhh, don't tell the detox police, but I have had a green apple and a green tipped banana in the SAME day.  Yikes!  
-I have had a few red apples, mainly because I was out of green ones.  And they are just better.  There, I said it.


Actually, I shouldn't be too hard on the green apple because it has been my savior for the past 8 days.  When you can't eat anything sweet, you really look forward to the one "treat" you can have each day.  I dip mine in sunflower seed butter and it's delish.  Plus, I once had a student call me "Granny Smith" so it seems fitting.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment