Monday, July 8, 2013

cauliflower mashed "taters"

I tried a new roast recipe today, and there is nothing that goes better with roast than mashed potatoes.  I could seriously eat my weight in mashed potatoes.  It ties with stuffing as my favorite food at Thanksgiving.  My mom used to get so mad at me because I always said I liked my grandma's potatoes best.  Come to find out they were instant and from a box.  Ooopsies!

Anyway, white potatoes are no longer a part of my everyday life, so I had to find a substitute.  Enter mashed cauliflower "taters!"  This recipe is super easy and delish!  The original calls for 5 cloves of garlic, but I thought that might be a bit much, so I used 4.  I think next time I'd do 3.

Cauliflower Mashed "Taters"

1 large head of cauliflower
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp butter
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Trim your cauliflower into florets and stems.  Slice the garlic cloves.  Steam your cauliflower and garlic together for about 10 minutes, or until soft.  I did this in a steamer basket over a pot of water.  You could probably microwave it, too.  It's critical to steam the garlic, or your taters will be way too garlicky.  Throw the steamed cauliflower, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper into a food processor and puree it until it is completely smooth.  Enjoy!


This recipe is adapted from one of my very favorite Paleo bloggers -
Nom Nom Paleo

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment