Sunday, April 28, 2013

homemade mayo

I love me some mayo. I like mayo so much that one year my teaching partner, Lindsey, gave me a VAT of it for Christmas. I'm not kidding, it was huge! And yes, I finished off every last bit of it. Well, mayo from the jar is probably a no no in the unprocessed world, so I had to find a way to make my own. Lo! An unprocessed mayo!

Homemade Mayo
1 large egg
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 cup light olive oil (NOT extra virgin!)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Crack the egg into your food processor (or blender) and add the lemon juice. Let them come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup olive oil, the mustard, and salt to the canister.  Blend until all are combined. Now here comes the fun part. With the food processor turned on, add the remaining cup of olive oil by pouring very, very slow. You want to skinniest stream possible.  This should take 2-3 minutes. Don't rush it or it will not work. Patience, my friend, patience! Once all the olive oil is incorporated, it should turn into a lovely, white yumminess. It will keep in the fridge until the egg expiration date.


Photo and Recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl

2 comments:

  1. I think my issues with food safety would prevent me from doing this.....uncooked egg makes my stomach a little uneasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Jami, that is sort of a sticky situation. I think if you're buying quality eggs, it's probably ok, but of course there is always the risk with raw eggs.
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete